Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
- Anatole France
1. Apply to Adopt
2. Your application will be reviewed by one of our adoption counselors
3. References will be checked
4. Phone Interview with an adoption counselor
5. Home Inspection will be conducted by adoption counselor
6. If approved, a meet and greet will be set up
7. If the meet and greet goes well, a trial adoption of 2 weeks will take place
8. If the trial adoption works out, we will finalize the adoption
HOW MUCH IS MY ADOPTION FEE?
It varies from $175 - $1600. Breeds that are in "high demand" are considered "benefactor" dogs for our medical cases. We want to ensure that a "high demand breed" is not going to be adopted to be turned around and "flipped" for a profit. We aren't in this whole rescue thing to watch our pups end up with an unapproved home that can't properly take care of their needs.
Our fees are set by our board of directors and is non-negotiable. Our board of directors can and will deny an adoption for any reason that they feel is necessary. We only want the best for our dogs that have often come from traumatic situations because a home was not the best fit for them.
OUT OF STATE ADOPTION (we are located in Indiana) FEE
- this applies to applicants 3+ hours outside of the Louisville Metro area
- There is a $500 added fee for travel expenses (we will still follow all other protocols in place, including an application, vet check, home visit, and phone interview).
- We will require the $500 non-refundable deposit for out of state adoptions once you are approved for adoption before travel (by car) takes place.
- None of our dogs will travel by plane unless special arrangements have been made for the state of Hawaii, in which case one of our board members will accompany the dog and the extra fees (person's plane ticket, dog plane ticket, Hawaii state of agriculture fees, extra vetting, inspection fees) for Hawaii will be applied to the adoption fees.
WHAT DOES MY ADOPTION FEE COVER?
1. All age appropriate vaccinations - distemper, hepatitis, Parvo, and parainfluenza (puppies require multiple sets of these vaccinations), flu, bordetella, and rabies (if 16 weeks or older).
2. Heart worm testing (subsequent heart worm treatment, if positive - we do not adopt a dog out until they test negative on their heart worm test)
5. Any medical expenses that may arise while the dog is in our care such as Parvo, Kennel Cough, Surgeries, Amputations if necessary, resetting broken bones, etc.
WHY ARE PUPPIES MORE TO ADOPT?
Very simply, puppies require more veterinarian care. They need 3 rounds of booster DHPP shots, along with dewormer every 2 weeks until 16 weeks old. They also need to be spayed/neutered before leaving our program so that we can curb the endless cycle of littering.
1. All dogs we adopt out are required to be spayed/neutered before leaving our program, up to date on all age appropriate vaccinations, microchipped, heart worm tested, and given their rabies shots (if 16 weeks or older). If you adopt before all rounds of shots have been completed, you will be responsible for completing their shots on time. We provide all of their vet records at the time of adoption.
2. We also require you to register/license your new furiend with your county according to county laws/requirements.
3. We will not adopt a dog in our program to a home that we believe is not the right fit for the dog. For example, some dogs are not cat friendly, dog friendly, or kid friendly.
4. If you rent, we require a landlord reference for us to call. We will require proof that you have paid the pet deposit and all required fees to the apartment before adopting your new furiend.
5. We do not adopt to homes with unaltered pets. This is non-negotiable.
6. We run background and PVA checks on applicants. We basically know everything about you before coming to your home visit. Hiding something? We will probably find it. 🤷🏼♀️ Why do we do this? To protect ourselves, the safety of our foster families, and the long term stability of our dogs.
7. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY ANY APPLICATION FOR ANY REASON AT ANY TIME.
WHAT DOES THE HOME INSPECTION INVOLVE?
We are looking to make sure you are able to provide everything needed in caring for the furiend you are adopting: proper fencing, kennels, beds, etc. We will not adopt a dog to a home that has more than their city's limit of animals, nor will we adopt to a home that is unable to be walked through without stepping on trash. 🤷🏼♀️
(Please check your
email for your password. You will have received this once you have been approved to adopt.)
Chibi's Furiends, Inc. has the right to deny any application for any reason at any time. We look to find the best homes for our dogs to live. Often times, these dogs have suffered abuse, neglect, and lack basic manners/house training etiquette in addition to suffering the heart break of being thrown in doggie jail; all before arriving at Chibi's Furiends. We will not place a dog in a home that is not the best fit for both the family and the dog.
Save a life and apply to adopt today!
If you would like to adopt one of our furiends, please fill out our application.
Opening your home and hearts to save a life is extremely rewarding.